For the lyrics see Picture to Burn (lyrics)
|"Picture to Burn"|
|Single by Taylor Swift|
|from the album Taylor Swift|
|B-side||"Ten Years Pass" (Sunny Sweeney)|
|Released||January 29, 2008|
2:57 (Album Version)|
2:55 (Radio Edit/Rock Version)
2:40 (Acoustic Version)
|Writer(s)||Taylor Swift, Liz Rose|
|Taylor Swift singles chronology|
"Picture to Burn" is the title of a single co-written and recorded by American country pop artist Taylor Swift. Released in January 29, 2008 as the fourth single from Swift's self-titled debut album, it is also that album's fourth consecutive Top Ten hit, having reached a peak of #3 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts.
The song is part of the tracklist for Now That's What I Call Country.
The lyrics describe Taylor's dissatisfaction with her ex-boyfriend (whom she describes as "just another picture to burn"), and her plans to seek revenge on him. Before performing this song, Swift says, "I always try to tell the audience that I really do try to be a nice person... but if you break my heart, hurt my feelings, or are really mean to me, I'm going to write a song about you. Haha. This song is the perfect example." The song is written in the key of G major, set in common time. The chord progression throughout the entire song except the bridge is G-Am-C-D.
Promotional US CD SingleEdit
- "Picture to Burn" (Radio Edit) - 2:55
- "Picture to Burn" (Album Version) - 2:57
- "I'm Only Me When I'm with You" - 3:36
As in Swift's other videos for single releases, "Picture to Burn"'s music video was directed by Trey Fanjoy. The music video starts off with Swift and a friend (played by her real life best friend Abigail Anderson) looking at a picture of Swift and her ex-boyfriend, before sitting in their Ford Mustang and spying on him and his new girlfriend. Swift begins daydreaming about trashing her ex-boyfriend's house, then burns the picture. In an interview with CMT, Swift stated, "The storyline of the video is, if you break up with me, my band will ransack your house." (The video uses the radio edit version of the song.)
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||28|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||49|
|Canadian Radio & Records Country Singles||1|
|Canadian Hot 100||48|
Appearances in other mediaEdit
- ↑ Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 196. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- ↑ "Taylor Swift: Picture to Burn". MusicRemedy. 2009-04-11. http://musicremedy.com/t/taylor-swift/videos/picture-to-burn-20405.html.
- ↑ Vercher, Brady (2008-01-26). "Taylor Swift - "Picture to Burn"". The 9513. http://www.the9513.com/taylor-swift-picture-to-burn/. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- ↑ "Videos: Taylor Swift, "Picture To Burn"". CMT.com. http://www.cmt.com/videos/taylor-swift/215750/picture-to-burn.jhtml. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Taylor Swift Shares Story and Success of Award-Winning "Our Song"